Collection Care Training
Keeping Collection Care
22nd October 2018 @ 10:30am – 15:30pm
An introduction to collection care.
You will learn to identify and protect against risks to your collection; understand and source archival enclosures; and appreciate a range of actions for protecting collections.
Link collection care activity to a helpful framework; prioritise collection care tasks; learn about trusted sources of help and advice, and about other support Gloucestershire Archives can provide.
- Basic skill building – useful tools, creasing and folding
- Introducing yourself and your collection: Who, What, When, Why, Where, How?
Keeping: Introduction to Collection Care
- Introducing ourselves
- Establishing context: Why care for the collection?
- Establishing a framework: Introduction to Benchmarks in Collection Care
- Introduction to Collection Care action checklist
Links to Benchmarks in Collection Care 1. Policy
Keeping: Damage Prevention
- Identifying risks to collections - introduction to 10 agents of deterioration
- Material aging overview
- Simple risk assessment
- Handling ‘Top Ten’ tips
- If disaster strikes
- Damage Prevention action checklist
Links to Benchmarks in Collection Care 2 Buildings & Security, 5 Handling & Use, and 10 Emergency Preparedness
Lunch 12:30 – 13:30 Great cafés nearby or bring your own
Keeping: Storage and Protection
- Storage furniture
- Archival quality materials – understanding & sourcing
- Protective enclosures and Dos & Don’ts overview
- Basic skill building – using the enclosures, folding and labelling
- Storage and Protection action checklist
Links to Benchmarks in Collections Care 3 Storage
- Q&A - This is the start of a journey - how can we help you on your way?
- Small changes can achieve big results – what 3 things will you do first?
- Award Certificate of attendance with record of sections of Benchmarks in Collection Care introduced
- Your feedback to us
Finish around 15:30
Collection Care ‘pick & mix’ training modules
Tailored training linked to heritage sector benchmarks in collection care www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives
As we were going to publication we learnt this course is now fully booked. We will run it again should enough people be interested. If you would like to express an interest and be put on the waiting list please email email@example.com